Tuesday, January 5, 2010

14 Days of Classes: Day 3 and 4

Last night for class number 3 I went back to an old standard. A class I hadn't been to in over a year, but one that I always loved. It's called Dance Jam and is taught by the absolute best, most energetic aerobics instructor I have ever met. And what I like even more about her, is she's not rail tight and ripped looking. She looks completely curvy and soft, but don't let that fool you, she's not soft. Firm, strong, quick....woah. I can't keep up with her. Even at my best. The gist of this class is that you learn segments of a dance and then do it start to finish performance style at the end. A year ago I had the thing down cold. This year, she's changed it up and I was back to paying super attention, missing half the moves and trying to find the beat. But it was a great workout! It's about a 90 minute class. I left after 60 minutes because at that point she usually switches it up and teaches a harder choreographed shorter piece. They build that piece out for about 4 weeks. I had about all I could learn and keep up with in 60 minutes. Sorry I left Katie!! But you killed me kiddo!

This morning, I had to go to a 6AM class because I've got plans with friends for dinner. The hardest part of this class I thought was going to be getting up at 5:30. That was hard, but the class was much harder. It was Yoga Vinisya II - whatever. It was a semi heated yoga class - about 85-90 degrees in the room, and it really focused on fluid poses cycling through different movements. I would put it in the fitness category. I'm really worn out from not giving my muscles a break so I totally flopped in class. I thought about leaving after a half hour because I wasn't doing well. But I stuck it out. I would go back again for a workout yoga class. But today I was hoping for more of a relaxing yoga class. I've liked other classes better, and the time of day is not really my style.

The reason I wanted to do this challange was to try new things, get a jump start on working out again, have fun. I am accomplishing all of these, but I'm not so sure 14 days in a row is the best idea I've ever had. I am happy that I am maintaining a commitment, something I need to learn how to do again and I am feeling good about exercising. But to do well in any of these classes, a break in between would be better. I'm resigned to just doing the best I can, knowing that my best now will not be my best ever.

No comments: