Monday, January 4, 2010

14 Days of Classes: Day 2

SueBob made a comment on yesterdays post that 14 classes (mostly new ones) in 14 days sounded like a lot of sore muscles. And after only Day 2 I tell you she is RIGHT. It's only Day 2 and whew! I'm beat. Because up until this 14 day challenge I was on 2 months of basically nothing. It's a shock to the system. I do have some yoga classes and 30 minutes classes scheduled into the mix so hopefully that will be a rest. And I'm trying not to do the same type of class twice in a row.

Sunday I went to Studio Cycle at 4PM with Bruce. I've only been to 1 maybe 2 cycling classes ever and everything I thought about cycling classes was confirmed once again. I hate them. I like the instructor. A LOT actually. He was kind of like the Rev. Jesse Jackson/Mitch Hedberg of spin. "You gotta beeeeelieeeeve!" I liked the imagery and the people and the room and almost everything else about it. But what trumps all of the things I like about this class? It's SO MUCH WORK. Oh man does it ever kick my butt. I'm more a path of least resistance girl and there is much resistance in cycle classes. I hate to admit to myself, but cycling are great classes and if I went more regularly they would help improve my fitness a lot. I'll go again. Reluctantly. But it's good for me. One thing I did like about the class is that he helps you visualize going up a hill by the height of his arms. For example we had 1 minute of a hill left and he started out with his arms in the air, standing up. Buy the end of the "hill" and the minute he was crouched on the floor with his palms touching the ground. And we were done.

After cycling I joined Bruce again for 30 minutes of core. He's a hoot! At one point he had us doing crunches on a body ball with one leg crossed over the other. When he could see all of us falling and flailing about he said maybe we should practice more at home. He said we can get the body balls at any local Target. But DO NOT get the blue one. Because they are too big? Because they don't hold up well? Because they are to firm??? No. Because they won't go with A THING in your house. Get white or red :) Ha! I like Bruce. The core class was great because it wasn't 500 sit-ups. We warmed up with pretty standard continuous sit-ups but then we did core work. Planks, twists, balance. So much more that abs. I need this class.

Today I am completely sore from head to toe. My glutes and hamstrings took the brunt of the work on Saturday and Sunday so they are especially screaming. Day 2 finished with 2 more classes that I really enjoyed. I need more cross training in my life.

No comments: