Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What are you saying?

I'm saying, I think running and my body are no longer in love. They just want to be friends. The Des Moines 1/2 Marathon race report comes with a longer post-race report instead.

Just when I thought the weather couldn't be any better for a run than it was during TCM, we went to Des Moines and discovered IT COULD BE. It was about the same temperature, but it was sunny. The sun gave you just the right amount of heat in the crisp fall air. I wanted to go out with the 2:20 pace group. Why - I have no idea. (yes I do know - I always want to be better than I was) It was 2 weeks since the marathon and I wanted to PR the race by 4 minutes when I am at the point in my running ability when 4 minutes is a big deal. It's not like your first 10K and then 1 running year later you knock 23 minutes off. I pushed for the 2:24 I got at the Gopher to Badger 1/2. It ended up not mattering because the 2:20 pacer was gone like a rocket and left me in the exhaust. Note: I ran the first mile in 10:50 and the 2:20 pace group was NOT 9 seconds ahead of me even though we started at the same time.

Into the race. I went out around 11 minute miles and felt pretty good. Until mile 6. PAIN. My right hip absolutely ached. Not a sharp pain but felt like it popped out of the joint or something. I made it to mile 6, and decided this was it. The best I could do today was all that was needed and I needed to walk. When I started to run again, my knee was giving me major problems thus my stride was choppy and uneven and unbalanced and painful. On the verge of tears, I told myself to slow it down, be smooth, take smaller steps...just work through it. And that helped. For the rest of the race when my hip started to hurt I knew I had to walk to give it a break and then I was good for another 3/4 - 1 mile - which is about where the water stops were so it worked out well. It got better after mile 7 or so and I finished the race in 2:25:54! Only 2 minutes off my PR and I was walking a lot and just off a marathon! This tells me that when I could, I WAS RUNN-ING! I was pleased and besides the obvious hip and knee pain, I felt GOOD at that pace.

Post-race though, I'm concerned. I tried running on a treadmill the other day and felt ok. Only did 1.5 miles but the knee didn't hurt. Then I got a massage. But today, my hip is still hurting me and my knee is hurting in all kinds of new places. I've never been known as the one who ever over exerts leading to injury. I always do the minimum. I got a Dr. apt on Friday to just check things out. The fact that my right quad and right calf are sore like crazy and my same left muscles are fine, tells me that something was off during that race. I'm hoping the outcome is that I need rest and stretching and strengthening. I don't think it's any actual "injury". But Chad commented that maybe it's time for a rest and then to come back strong in November. And I'm thinking that is a super idea.

Except.

I am signed up for the Monster Dash 1/2 Marathon. I just want the medal that turns into a belt! But I am also acutely aware of what my body it telling me. I wanted that race to be my season ending high, but that ship might have sailed with the Des Moines half. And that's ok with me. I'm running 7-8 on Saturday depending what I hear at the Doc's and how I feel. I'm going to go day by day and see how I feel and relax a little instead of feel the pressure to get out there and maintain or run harder and faster. I do want to sign up for another 1/2 in January in FL, but what's important to me is that running and me remain friends. We can see other people for a while, but I think it is in both of our best interests to go on a break.

No comments: