Friday, January 1, 2010

14 Days of Classes: Day 0

As one may guess, no blogging = no running. I guess that's not entirely true. I ran a 5k on Thanksgiving. Once or twice I ran 3 miles on a Saturday morning with the MDRA Polar Bear group. I chugged out a few miles on the treadmill here and there. I've probably averaged about .82 miles per week since the Monster Dash on Halloween. Coincidentally that's probably how many pounds I have averaged gaining each week since the Monster Dash too. And that is entirely true.

But that is was New Year's resolutions are for. Nay, not just a new year, a new decade! I don't really have any resolutions for the long term. I always have plans and goals. But I do seem to gain a little momentum at the changing of the year.

My race plans are on complete month by month basis. No scheduling the entire year in January. I've got the road map worked out for January to get me running 15 miles a week again so I can maybe try to start running with the MDRA spring marathon training program. That doesn't mean I'm training for a marathon. But by the time I get there - who knows!

So getting back to the momentum of the new year and starting fresh and trying new things I decided to do 14 days of classes. I plan to go to a class a day at the gym in the hopes of trying something other than running, building my fitness base back again, and having some fun. Starting today! January 1. So what class did I go to today? Well, um yeah. About that.......

I started the day at 11AM running the Polar Dash 5k. It was and ok run. Saw a friend there to run with which always makes it better. I planned on hitting yoga at the gym at 5:45. I thought I should double check the schedule just to be sure. After all, it is a holiday. Apparently I should have checked earlier because there was no 5:45 yoga class. And the last class I could have gone to for the day started in 5 minutes. Big time bummer!!! Yes, I could have checked at a different gym for their schedule, but I didn't. So Day 1 was a bust. But I'm not disheartened. I still did something good for my body. And my ego, as we got HUGE medals. For a 5K! :) Seriously the medals make me want to run the whole Team Ortho challenge thing and get all 4 medals. Darn you Team Ortho! How you suck me in with your discount offers on the marathon and fancy schmancy hats and gloves and promises of medals and shiny plaques. You almost make me forget that I still have to run A MARATHON. But I won't be trixied that easily. Did I mention you get a plaque for all your medals if you do all four races???? What was I just saying about not planning my racing year out? I forget.

14 Days of Classes will start tomorrow at 8AM with Barbell Strength.

No comments: