Monday, July 27, 2009

Poptarts are dead to me

When I was pondering what my pre-triathlon meal was going to be a few weeks back, I decided that PopTarts were the perfect choice! And I was oh, so sick of bagels.

1. I NEVER eat poptarts. When I was a kid, mom and dad never bought them, so my only experience with these awesome frosted toasted pasties was when I would go to grandma's for breakfast. She never disappointed.
2. The are full of sugar. In fact, I think they are only made up of sugar and carbs. Just what you need
3. They would burn hot and fast for the fuel I would need on race day.
4. I would be able to enjoy them guilt free because who cares if they are 200 calories per tart and only keep you full for 30 minutes. I was running a triathlon. I'll burn that off in the swim.

The PERFECT choice.

Except.

1. I burned that off in the swim. Actually, I digested that fully 1.5 hours before the swim. I got up so early to make it to transition that I was hungry again an hour before the race started.
2. They burned hot and fast. Much to fast.
3. There was no sustenance to keep me going. Nothing in them but sugar which depleted to rapidly.
4. They are gross. Yes. Gross. I guess I've grown out of that love affair. They were sooooo not as good as I remember.

Since there are 4 poptart packages in a box, I tried the poptart breakfast before a few long runs. With the same result. I guess I'm a slow learner. Just too many calories of sugar that burn way to fast and leave me empty. Maybe they would be a better mid-race snack. Except for the fact that I find them disgusting now.

So PopTarts are dead to me.

My new pre-long run/race day breakfast is going to be Megan Muffins, named after my cousin who bakes and delivers them. Actually, they are Great Harvest Berry Oatbran muffins but I like to call them Megan Muffins since she works there and probably makes the best ones ever! Great fuel, lots of carbs, enough sugar and they are great with a little peanut butter. I gotta go pick some up at the local Great Harvest for my 14 miler on Saturday. It will be my longest distance EV-AR. I'm so excited, I'm going to go for 15!

2 comments:

Julie D said...

Pop Tarts are good, but definitely unsatisfying as you indicated.

SueBob said...

I LOVE those Great Harvest bread thingies that they hand out after many of the local races! I don't know what they are exactly, but I really need make it there someday and figure it out. Unfortunately, there isn't a store that is convenient for me.