Sunday, July 26, 2009

Absolutly content...but maybe a little thirsty

On Saturday we had a cutback long run. Which, seriously, life just keeps getting crazier. I woke up thinking - Phew! Just 10 miles today. I can do that. WHA - -?? Since when did 10 miles become "JUST". But the coach brought it back to reality when he said "Even though this is a recovery long run week, it is still 10 miles, so take it seriously." Good point I thought. We ran in a place called Hidden Falls. I figured we were running TO something. Something good and spectacular. Nope. I saw no Hidden Falls. We ran to a road and turned around. Highly disappointing. On the way back someone told me the falls were hidden - that's why we didn't see them. Huh. Go figure.

But falls or no, this was a good run. It only ended up being 9.5 which isn't helping me reach my 100 mile month. Due to a lovely evening out with family on Thursday I didn't get my 6 miles in that night - good choice though, dinner was better than running on that particular evening. I did 3 very easy, very slow miles on Friday instead, but that leaves me 3 short for the week. I didn't want to push it too much before the long run on Saturday. I've been having trouble with my right quad. It just aches like I pulled a muscle. But it comes and goes during the run. I'll have to talk to some professionals just to make sure things seem kosher and if there isn't anything I can do to get it better.

Today, I made up a little ground by doing 4.5. Altogether nice run. It was followed by an even nicer dinner of corn on the cob, grilled green beans, a baked potato with chives that we grew, a salad with lettuce that we grew and we split a turkey burger. Yum, yum. Watermelon for dessert.

What a great weekend. To top it all off, I just checked on my friend Allison who was doing her 1st Half Iron Man. Don't worry - she finished hours ago, but I like to make sure. And of course she was A-OK. But WOW! Very proud of you. Congratulations to her!!!!!

Here are some thoughts I had during my long run on Saturday. Every time I go out now, I feel like I have a noble cause. Like there is a divine purpose that will be so worth the effort. Every run I do is not just for general fitness, to burn calories or for only fun; it's so I can toe up to the start line, for every mile I cross I can be confident that I'll make it and then 26.2 miles later I can RUN across the finish line. It's all so very personal and individual, yet it's being part of a team of thousands. EVERYBODY works hard and when race day comes you can look around and know that you put your time in too, just like the thousands of runners with you. It amazes me that I can be part of that group. Because quite honestly, while I believe everyone could run if they want to, not everyone does. Not everyone puts in that effort because it's hard; but I do. Not saying that running is IT, but for anything in life that we do - look around at your peers. Be proud of where you are because not everybody does what you do. I certainly never thought of myself as one who pushes themselves physically to the max by choice. Or one that really works hard for anything. I'm more of a good-enough, close-enough, mostly-finished type of girl. But I'm not always it turns out. And when I'm not, I guess I surprise myself. It makes me happy when I prove to myself I can.

And this is my first marathon. I'm never going to have another first marathon. That thought struck me and while I am enjoying running now it's easy to feel motivated and happy, but I want to make sure I keep that as my focus in case I lose those feelings. Every run I do gets me closer to the race and closer to the end of my first marathon and then this awesome experience is over. I'm soaking it up.

No comments: