Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Good run, still in a funk

I just can't seem to get the Ricky Bobby quote out of my head "I wanna go fast". Slower is better, get in the time, just try to finish your first marathon. I think this last 1/2 proved for me that you can go out to fast and suffer in the end for it. It's hard to admit that 11:30 is my pace and my first marathon will probably be at least 5.5 hours since I had faster 10k and 5k times. Yet my 1/2 marathon time isn't really up to par. They say it will all pay off in the end, but I can't see that now. I wanted to be a faster runner this year, but fast and marathon don't belong in the same sentence for me. I feel like I was ready to see what I could do and they are saying hold back, now is not the time to let 'er rip. I believe all that is true; they are the experts, but it a hard mental thing to overcome.

I do enjoy running more lately now that I know I will be able to complete the distance with no problem because I'm slowing down. That's a nice feeling. Maybe I'm just in a funk and it has nothing to do with running.

No comments: