Friday, June 20, 2008

Biking is Beautiful

I think I am starting to realize why I am worried about the triathlon. I do know (barring major setbacks) that I will finish, but I am a little concerned with how difficult I will be surprised that it is. And here is the reason: I don't feel like I have really had to bust my hump during training. Whenever I am running there is always a point during training where there is an amount of uncomfortable effort exerted.

I decided just now that the reason I haven't felt this way is because I was in relatively good shape to begin with to achieve a sprint traithlon. It's like when I play a familiar song on the piano. To be great would take practice, but I could still pound it out with minimal effort while sounding ok. Well, I guess I am following the book and Joel Friel says that if I follow his plan I can complete a triathlon in 12 weeks. He wrote a book; I mean he must know.

Last night I biked 10 miles to my softball game and really enjoyed the ride. The last 1.5 miles or so was pretty hilly and I realized that it was the 1st 3 miles of the TC 10. Crap. I had forgotten about those hills, but I got a plan for when this training starts. Stay tuned. I concidered getting off my bike and walking up. I could barely pass this guy running!

Softball was a tons-o-fun. We ended in a tie. I was the catcher. I'm really flexible and good at squatting :) Plus this position requires minimal effort and I get to toss the ball a lot. It's perfect. It's a lot of people from my work playing; a really fun group all together.

Then I had to bike home. It was about 8:30 at that point; gets dark around 9:30 so I took about 7 more minutes on the ride home. After 7 miles I was pretty much done. My legs were really tired! I kept thinking that I would walk up the next hill. I concidered calling my boyfriend and telling him to come get me (he already said he would) or at the least to meet me at this bar we go to for some tots. But I didn't do any of those things, mainly because I hate stopping. I just wanted to get home. I did take this lovely picture on my way home. I imagined that I would capture all the most beautiful spots on the trip, but turns out I would have had to pull over to take pics and as I just said, I hate to stop. So all of these lovely spots of Minneapolis will have to stay locked in my brain. Maybe someday when I am out for a leisure ride I will take more pictures.

Final thoughts on biking: It's so refreshing. Everyone should have a bike.

No comments: