Monday, June 2, 2008

The Art of Procrastination


If you are a procrastinator you have to be very clever otherwise you come off as a complainer; always making excuses as to why things can't/don't get done. As a professional procrastinator, I find myself seeing rain in the forecast for the entire week and wondering why again it was that I couldn't run yesterday when it was sunny and the most perfect day since.....well, since I can remember. Oh that's right. I was busy:

In the morning I went to church at 10:45. I had been lacking sleep from the day before so the only obvious choice was to sleep until it was time to get ready for church. No time for running before. I'll go at noon.

Church started at 9:30 so I ended up coming home. It was really humid and hot already so I thought I should stay in and do some laundry first. Plus I was hungry and can't run on an empty stomach. (NOT and excuse - it's really hard to run on an empty stomach for me. It hurts). No time for running now. I'll go at 6:30 or 7 when it is starting to cool down.

Then my boyfriend came home from work and I hadn't seen him in about 4 days because of work, so I went to see him briefly. Then I fiddled around on the Internet while he slept. Then I went to the gym and swam some laps! Yay! It's not like I did nothing all day. After swimming I putzed around some more at his house and was hungry again so we went to Ruby Tuesday's for the salad bar. At this point it was about 6:30, so the 7:00 run wasn't looking so good.

We finished eating, got home and I could have gone running about say 8:30 but if I was going to run 6 miles, it would take an hour and then I run the risk of it being dark. I definitely don't like that sooooooooo

I didn't go running. But was that really procrastination? Hard to say. Am I just that clever at covering it up or did I truly run out of time? Well maybe it wasn't procrastination as much as it was I didn't make my run a priority. That's sounds right.

I was pleased with the week though because each tri-training week calls for 2 swims, 2 runs and 2 bikes and then 1 more of each is optional. I did the mandatory 2 of each. One week I would like to do everything. This week is looking good. Except I am going to run tonight instead of the optional strength training.

1 comment:

*jen* said...

Your day sounds a lot like so many of mine! I'm a pro at figuring out how to put things off. I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing...probably a bad thing.

Great job on your 1st place medal! 1st place is 1st place. It's all good.

And your Gu comment on one of my last entries cracked me up!! I'm going to have to try that stuff one of these days.