Friday, June 6, 2008

Ain't no sunshine when it rains

And it always rains, when I wanna run.

Well lately anyway. But there is sunshine even though it has been raining. I have been following through on my commitment to take my tri training seriously. So far this week I hit the schedule as it was meant to be hit.

Run and swim Tuesday.
Bike Wednesday.
Run Thursday.
Bike and swim today.

I feel good about doing something each day. The truth is the only difficult part about the training so far is getting it in. The actual workouts are not so bad. The bike parts are definitely a challenge, but I have had harder runs in the past. Anyway, I'm pleased.

And I lost 5 pounds. I was always so worried about not getting enough to eat while I was training that I would use that as an excuse to eat anything. So I joined Weight Watchers. The kind where you go to meetings. And I really really like it. There is something to be said about the camaraderie and motivation from others. I love hearing about other people having success. It's not really that I am learning that much on how to diet or eat right or anything (I've been on a diet my whole life; I know a thing or two about diets), but for me it provides the emotional support and accountability. I was surprised to see that many of the people in the program are at their goal weight and come back 1-2 times a month just to keep on track. Supportive. Plus it totally keeps me accountable for the days that I workout for say an hour. If I get hungry I know exactly how much extra I can have that day without just saying "Eat whatever! You worked hard." I recommend it.

One last thing about WW. I have heard people criticize it because they feel like they constantly need to think about food. How much they eat, when they are going to eat next etc. But to that I say: you got to this weight in your life by not paying attention to what you eat. How well has that worked for you? It's probably time you start paying attention in the right way. So I feel like it's a positive. When I reach goal I would like to transition into listening to my body and hopefully I have practiced good habits long enough that they will come more naturally.

Finally, a last comment on sunshine. We are supposed to see some tomorrow. But here is an interesting outlook sent to me by a co-worker today:

The good news is that two minutes after the sunsets we can expect mostly sunny skies. So we have that to look forward to :)

1 comment:

MissAllycat said...

Way to stick with your goals! I'm proud of you, girl. That Tri isn't gonna know what hit it.