Thursday, April 3, 2008

Run Clubs

Anybody ever intimidated by joining something new? Some of the worst feelings I can imagine are the feelings of inadequacy when I consider joining a running group! I'm willing to bet though that if you are the slowest one in the group it's only because the other people your pace are too afraid to join. They think they will be the only one running their pace. Take it from the last girl in the group, when you get a good run in, it doesn't matter if you have somebody to run next to you or not; I don't really talk when I run anyway. The group is there when you start and you finish and you all have the same thing to talk about: That last hill was super hard or I thought I was going to lose it when the wind hit on the south side. Nobody says, that last hill was harder for me because I was going 2 minutes per mile faster than you. Bottom line, groups are nice because they keep you honest and motivated and there is a great sense of camaraderie. The next race I decide to be serious about, I will consider joining a group. Just find the one that is right for you because they are out there. Beginner groups where you run/walk, women's groups, pace groups etc. Don't be intimidated!! Anybody can run if you can pick up your feet!

1 comment:

*jen* said...

Hi there! I just found your blog through Miss Allycat's. Your blog description sounds a lot like me. I constantly feel like I'm wrestling with A.D.D. or something...and I'm totally obsessed with fitness related magazines/books/articles, etc.

Running clubs really are intimidating. I'll be moving to TN in a month or so and already have one picked out but am very nervous about joining. I guess just about anything that pushes you out of a comfort zone can end up being a good thing though, eh?