Sunday, April 6, 2008

3rd Time's a Charm

Yesterday was the third time in my life that I have ever run 10 miles! And I knew that around mile 8 I would be sitting at home, lounging looking at it rain outside today and thinking "Boy! Am I glad that's done!". And I am! I was 1 minute faster than my 10 mile time from last October. It was a hard run though. I had knee trouble around mile 6 or 7 I can't remember. Then I had hill trouble between 9 and 10. Hill trouble means there were hills and I couldn't make it up them. In fact I could barely walk up them. But I knew that I just had to get in the miles, so I was OK with giving myself a break and a pep talk and then was ready to finish the last mile. Phew. I often think about how long I have to run and my feelings towards it are daunting. Apprehensive maybe. But somehow I manage to not think about it not happening. I know it will happen. I don't know how. I can't say it'll be great, but I don't worry about it. How this one happened was exhausting and somewhat painful but it happened. I guess my point is, before you worry about how, just get into it and the how will figure itself out.

Today I am going to watch the Twins game from the couch. Thank you to my cousin for giving me that fabulous idea. Here's to a great Sunday knowing there are 6 days before I have to run 11.

2 comments:

*jen* said...

Great job!! Just the thought of running 10 miles intimidates the hell out of me at this point. I loved your line about not worrying about HOW you will do something, just get into it and everything will figure itself out. Good stuff.

*jen* said...

I saw Run Fat Boy Run too. It was pretty funny. Do you have any idea when "Spirit" will be in all theaters instead of just special screenings? It will be in Nashville the week before I move there. I'm so sad!