Monday, February 2, 2009

Just some thoughts from right now

I found a new inspirational quote while researching my next Toastmaster Speech today:

"Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory, nor defeat."-- Theodore Roosevelt

That’s my new 2009 running quote.

I have these grandiose visions about how I am going to start running longer distances earlier on in the season so that I can maintain my weekly range but build speed sooner and quicker. Faster, better, stronger, quicker, longer, funner. Sorry, but ‘more fun’ just didn’t go with the list of adjectives I was listing. Then, by the end of June if my base is solid and I decide that I want to run a marathon in October, I’ll be totally ready and won’t have to train for the training.

My first race this year is going to be the Irish for a Day 5K on March 14th. Yes. I need to train back up to a 5k. But rest assured I am on a plan. I’ll be ready in no time. Better than before. Then I’ll do a 10-Mile at the end of May. April is gonna suck - except that I’m getting married!!! So when I say suck I mean running wise. But I’ll hardly care about running when I’m walking down the aisle or gallivanting through Ireland on our honeymoon where I plan on drinking lots of beer. Not because I want to be drunk, but because I want to try all different kinds of things. And that’s what the Irish do. They drink. I’m Irish so I can say that. (No I’m not).

I’ve got two weeks to get back to my wedding dress purchase size. That equates to 2.6 pounds. It’s gonna happen and would be even cooler to lose 3-4 pounds. At my weight watcher meeting the other day the leader made comments about how we go out to eat with people and lets say they order a burger and fries. The natural reaction, which is sometimes my reaction, is to wonder why I can’t eat that. Why I can’t be like them and be normal (aka thin) and eat burgers all the time. That’s where we fool ourselves though. Most “normal” people don’t eat burgers all the time and stay healthy. Sometimes I am that person who eat a huge meal and maybe people who don’t know me wonder how I do it. Little do they know I’ve been cutting back all week for this meal. Or maybe I just ran a ½ marathon that day. You don’t know me. You don’t know what people are doing unless you are with them for every meal. Things I would like to hear less of:

I’m going to try.
Normal.
I’m tired.
Why can’t I……
I wish I could….or I can’t…..


Life is not fair. Dieting IS cutting back. Maintaining is where the lifetime change is. I’ll forever be doing less than I want UNTIL I decide and accept that the less IS what I want.

No comments: