Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Groove is in the Heart

Actually, the groove is not in my heart. But that's where I want it to be. I've been plodding along doing treadmill running for the past 3 weeks. I feel good that I'm getting it done, but I'm really not pushing or trying anything new, which is what I feel ready to do. I want to start running outside so much. I just know that everything will be as it should be when I can get out an run. Hopefully that day will be Saturday.

What a difference a day makes. Or a good run. The above was written Tues. morning. The following is being written Wed. morning.

The groove IS in my heart. I went to the Metrodome running again last night and did 3.2 miles at a pace of 11 min/mile. In the immortal words of L.L. Cool J - "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years." I don't really doubt that I'll be able to get my running mojo back after the winter break I take, but it can be disheartening to struggle through runs when you remember where you left off. Running just felt really good and when I tried to pick up the pace, my body delivered. It's was like I remembered that I can handle uncomfortable for a period of time. Funny, because I tend to be a complainer. Except recently I'm trying something new. It's called Not Complaining. So, I just said "Hey, this is uncomfortable, I'm breathing really hard." And then I kept going until I felt I had overcome my quitter voice. At least for that particular moment.

Ooooh! I just thought of this. What if every time I think I can't make it, I vow to do more. 1 more minute, one more sprint, 1 more rep....whatever. Novel idea! Think of the gains I will make. I'm gonna try that. Did I just invent that? Because that seem genius to me! :)

I still need to take this training outside. I push myself more when I'm outside. I feel better and refreshed when I can get out. Still hoping for Saturday. 4 miles. But first one more treadmill workout on Thursday. I'm going to only do 2 miles of intervals or speed or something to kick it up during that time.

No comments: