Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Miss me?

When I don't blog for a while it usually means I am in some kind of funk or on vacation and it usually ain't vacation. This past week or so was a funk. Too much in my life taking too much of my mental energy to keep up in writing with my comings and goings. Yesterday though, I started what I feel is my down-to-business running schedule. I ran 4.5, have another 4.5 on Friday and then 7 on the weekend. Starting this week I am going up and up to 10 miles before the 1/2. Looking forward to the challenge. Mostly because it was almost 50 degrees yesterday and the sun shone until after 7PM. That meant AWESOME running weather. My new favorite temperature to run in is 50-60 degrees and my new favorite season is spring; until about August when my new old favorite season will be winter again. Exercise: a great anti-depressant for those of us without chemical imbalances.

On days that I give blood I allow myself to eat cookies and juice and all the sugar I need to replenish my funds over the next 24 hour period. Today I had an M&M cookie, 4 oreos and juice at the donation site. Later at work I had 2.5 more oreos and 2 girl scout cookies. I'm going to write this because it made my friend laugh when I emailed her today - I think there has to be some kind of statute of limitations on cookies on "Give Blood" day. The fantastic news is that I didn't pass out from low blood sugar. OK, I've never passed out; a continued undefeated record!

I signed up for a triathlon this summer!! The training for that will start the week after the 1/2. I'm really excited because I'm going to be following a plan for runners. I expect the mileage to be lower than what I will have been running and I'm excited to be really good on my run days. Hopefully this will all help with speed. On my life list of things to do I have written 'run one 7-minute mile'. Do you have any idea how fast that is? Now that I actually run, I know that it's F-A-S-T. For me and my short legs, that's fast. Considering the top marathon runners run about 5-minute miles (for 26.2 miles!!!) this seems like an unlikely feat. I'm gonna add it to 'The List" to see what I'm working with sometime this spring. What is the fastest mile I can run. Stay tuned for the results!

Appended:
I just did the math and that's 8.5 miles per hour. Once I ran 8.4mph on a treadmill for 25 seconds. I should have done some research before setting arbitrary goals for myself. I'm surprised I didn't list "Perform brain surgery".

No comments: