Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Dawn

I call this The Dawn because my dad used to tell me "It's always darkest before the dawn". Last week was really hard for me emotionally. I seemed to be sick all week long and even when I felt better I didn't feel quite right. But 'not quite right' didn't seem like a reasonable excuse to skip running altogether so I eeked out a puny four miles. Then Monday came around and I felt great! There was a complete difference between 'not quite right' and healthy. I spent last week feeling guilty that I should be running more if I felt better not realizing that I was probably still tired and weak. Not to mention I dropped five pounds. I like to mention that because of course I'm happy about that, but I also think it is was not good for my body. I'm sure it was because everything I ate (which was not much) was coming out at about the same speed and I was slightly dehydrated. I'll probably gain some back but that is good because I need my strength more that I need to lose weight.

Last night's run then, was four miles and I felt good. Monday night I had gone to a dance aerobics class so I was a little sore from that but nothing a warm-up mile wouldn't loosen up. I did decide to switch to a novice 1/2 training plan instead of the one I published earlier. That one was aggressive, which I know I could have done, but weather and physical wellness put me behind and I know I don't have room to fall behind there. This new plan builds to 10 miles and the next week is the 1/2. I still expect to finish well and happy.

Side note: My boyfriend is sick with this now. The tally now rests at 5 cousins, 1 aunt, 1 uncle, me and a boyfriend who have gotten this. Maybe you should go wash your hands after reading this entry lest you fall victim to the same fate!

No comments: