Saturday, June 27, 2009

YAY for running groups!

This morning I am back from my first long run with the my neeeeeeeeew running group. Best $100 my husband has ever spent I tell ya. He had to cut the check since I'm not on them yet. Water stops, powerade, FIG NEWTONS at the end! Plus I got a new singlet to let every one know not to rumble with me cuz I got a gang now!

I ran 7 miles - some did more, some less. I finished with 3 others who did 7 with me. Most of the way out we were talking about the long slow distance and how it teaches the body endurance. I think I've been teaching my body to just run more because thinking back, I don't really vary my pace much for the long runs. It seems to average out that every run from 3-10 miles is the same pace. Which I learned completely defeats the purpose of the long run. You are supposed to be able to plod along for a looooooooong time. Come race day that is when you can 1. go the distance and 2. add some speed that you've been building on the other days.

With that in mind, I think I need to really hold it back to 11 minute miles for my long runs. Others throughout the week should be from 10-10:45. Today we ran 11 minute miles and I felt great the whole way. At 3, where the water stop was I was amazed at how good I felt. Even on the return it wasn't until about mile 5 that I started getting tired. But it was at this point, looking at my Garmin, where we started running 10:30 and the last bit even faster.

When I signed up for this I was thinking, 7AM runs on Saturday? Well it will be nice to get something done on Saturday and have the rest of the weekend. But what didn't cross my mind is that if the run is at 7, that doesn't mean wake up at 7. Today I was up at 5:45. ON A SATURDAY. I guess it's so long Friday night fun. I'm at a point though where this is what I want to focus on. I want my priority #1 to be my workouts. I know that is going to mean skipping out on some Happy Hours with work and social activities here and there, but I'm enjoying this so I'm ok with that for the time being.

This week is starting off right. Tomorrow it is supposed to be nicer, meaning not pouring rain (which we ran through today) so I am going to go for a long bike ride and then try to run a couple miles just to remember what it's like and get used to the feeling again. The triathlon is coming up quick!

No comments: