Thursday, June 4, 2009

National Running Day

Yesterday, as many know, was National Running Day. Whatever your level, just get out there and go - I think that is the official motto. I decided to try a running group at my gym. I see them running all the time but have never wanted to join because, well let's be honest, I've never wanted to work that hard. I showed up and they gave me a sticker that said "I ran today" and I briefly considered going home since I already had the sticker. Then they made you sign in and put how many miles you were going to run. Dang. After that I was committed. It was in writing.

The leader guy for our group was explaining to me on the way out how nobody gets left behind. Usually there are seasoned groupies who can lead and he is able to follow and make sure nobody gets lost. I said, "Nice to meet you - I'm sure we'll be spending a lot of time together in that case." He was great fun. He'd yell out stuff like "HILL!" when we were already half up, as if I didn't notice. But then "DOWNHILL!" and also would tell us to walk over the train tracks and look both ways, and tell us when it was clear to merge onto the path so we wouldn't get hit by a biker. Like mama bear goes running. I liked it.

Beautiful day to be out on the trails. The sun was behind the clouds so it wasn't beating down on you in the open areas. But the running? The running was hard. I started out just going. Not looking at my pace. I don't want to know that I am going less than 11 minute/miles and think I better slow down because I can't handle this. I need to reset my pace clock in my head. Because remember, how I run 10 minute miles! You really can't get hung up on the numbers though. I mean I ran 6.2 miles on Sunday with avg pace of 10:13 and this 5.28 miles yesterday was tough to pull out in the end and the avg time was 10:19. So what the heck? Who really knows. That's why it's always best to gauge how much of yourself you left on the trail. Sunday, I gave it my all. Last night, again, everything. So two great runs at differing paces. But the feeling good for working hard, that's the reward! The pace always needs to be second I think. Sure it's important at times, but attitude is always #1.

I back to hitting the pool tonight. Looking forward to a good swim. And did you know that biking was part of a triathlon. Evidently I've been trying to convince myself otherwise because I haven't biked AT ALL this whole year. I really felt like I was a good biker last year during the tri and I wanted to nail it this year. But how's that gonna happen if I don't start practicing? Potentially, I'll amaze myself. Realistically, I'm just delusional. Here's the joke for which I based this comment.

A dad told his son to learn the difference between potentially and realistically by asking his sister and his mother if they would sleep with Brad Pitt for 1 million dollars. He asked both and both said yes, of course they would. When his dad asked if he learned the difference, the son replied "Yes. Potentially we could be millionaires, but realistically we've go two tramps in the family".

No comments: