Sunday, June 21, 2009

Some lighthearted sarcasm

I didn't feel like this belonged in my race recap, but I wanted to mention a few more things about the race. The fans in Duluth are awesome! Regular people put out bananas and water stops and food. And I don't mean they have a jug of water and offer it up. I mean, they have thousands of cups on the ready with a whole line up of people distributing water. And just because they want to. The marathon also provides cold sponges and ice at the water stops. Top notch really. One of the best managed races I have been involved with. Oh, and Dip and Dots at the end. In TWO flavors!

Here's my disclaimer: I'm not really terribly annoyed. Fan participation is awesome. Really. ANY fan participation. I'm not so much of a snob that if you're not doing it right don't come at all. I hope people come out to watch and maybe get inspired. I just thought this was a little humorous and runners might get a good chuckle...you know, the it's-funny-because-it's-true lines.

Please don't say things like "Pick up the pace, the elites are just up ahead". Yeah, I'm just about ready to make my move and close on the 4,294 people in front of me to win the whole race. Is my bib number less than 10? Then I am probably not in fact close to the elites. And when your saying it with your aviator sunglasses, your faux-hawk and sloshing around your cup filled with cold beer, it makes me appreciate it even less. If that's possible.

Know your 20 (that's trucker talk for location). At the 10k marker I heard "You made it - 1/2 way there" Basic knowledge of the difference between kilometers and miles will tell you that two 10k's does not a 1/2 marathon make. I am not 1/2 way there.

And probably the most famous - "X miles left" (In this particular instance X=3). I know that 3 miles is a little over 1/4 left which in context seems like a lot smaller amount to the whole, but it's like asking a woman if she's pregnant. Unless you see her delivering a baby, probably best not to ask. If I don't have a visual lock on the finish line, probably best not to mention the distance left.

I do like signs like "You look smart and pretty" (from a previous race) or "Nice legs". I also heard "Doing great, keep it up. You're ahead of those people." Haha - funny, but wait, what did he say to the people up there.......???

Race fans DO make a difference. It's fabulous when people can be supportive of one another. I heard a marathoner tell us at mile 25.95 "Thanks for coming out". Really, he thanked US! He'd been running for over 5 hours and he thought to thank the crowd. People can be amazing.

No comments: