Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I can't do this

Why is that ALWAYS the first phrase that runs through my head when trying something new? It's so annoying. I'm getting tired of that old feeling. That was my thought about marathons.

I went to the information class for marathon training last night. I'm still not sold on this whole marathon idea. ESPECIALLY since the marathon I was going to sign up for is sold out. Now I'm in a pickle. Here are the facts:

Factoid #1
I chose the Marine Corp Marathon because my dad was a marine. I have a special memory of running with my dad. I wear his dog tags when I run. It is in Washington DC and the course sounds AMAZING. It's a large race with lots of people. The fact that I would be running a marathon was second. I wanted to do this race and it happened to be the marathon distance.

Factoid #2
I want to run with the group from last night. I like running with groups and if I do that, I need something to train for.

Factoid #3
If all I cared about was the MCM, then I should be able to say, ok, skip it. Run it another year. But then this voice, and I honestly DO NOT KNOW who it is, says "But I wanted to run a marathon this year" Seriously! Where did that tiny little (evil) voice come from???

The Des Moines marathon looks like my next viable options. We have weddings to attend the 1st and 2nd weekend in October, so Twin Cities and Whistlestop are both out. But will it be meaningful? Remember Fact 1 was that I didn't want to run just any marathon for the sake of getting the distance. But Fact 3, nagging, annoying little Fact 3, tells me I do in fact want to run the distance. Will I find the willpower to continue when the race doesn't mean as much?

With the facts written out there like that, I think the choice is clear. Looks like its Des Moines in October as my first marathon that I never wanted to run. Time for a serious attitude adjustment. But I KNOW I am going to like being part of a group! A team. That isn't really a team. Cuz they would probably bench me.

What I REALLY want to run as the second choice is the Duke City Marathon in Albuquerque. Hold on Tara.......I checked the course map. Altitude: 5000. The course climbs 40 feet for the first 12 miles and then 80 feet between 12 and 13. Then you turn around and run back the same way you came. All downhill. It is was just the hills I would be ok. But it is seriously a different run completely when you throw altitude in there. I don't think I want my first one to be EXTRA tough. Although, it would be a really cool location, myself having friends and family in New Mexico.


That's were I'm at. Feeling a little apprehensive about involving myself with a goup. Basically saying I'm ready to bust my hump every weekend. Looking forward to and nervous for the first group run on Saturday.

4 comments:

MissAllycat said...

Des Moines was my first half...I loved it. I'm hooked on distance running. But you already know that. :)

Anonymous said...

DUKE CITY. You've just gotta. It's beautiful and I'll make a sign that says nice legs. I PROMISE. So when do you arrive??

Anonymous said...

You have to come to Albuquerque to do the Duke City Marathon. I will run it with you. The "hills" are not really hills. It is like a gradual incline for a couple miles and then back down. Then you have a few more places where you have to run up an incline but nothing to drastic. Maybe I will get a sign for my legs too. :)

Anonymous said...

I just want to clarify that Dana left the second Gohr Fam message. I will not be running with you but I will hold two Great Legs signs. And I will get Great Harvest rolls for you.
GS-T