Sunday, June 7, 2009

9 Miles, but I didn't wanna

I soooooooo did not want to run today. I didn't want to be outside today. It's cold in our house, it's cold and windy and overcast outside. I ate a big brunch and was sleepy and it was about 3PM. If you can imagine then, try, how much I did NOT want to run 9 miles. I wasn't thinking when I put on my running clothes. I think I was still in denial that I was actually going. My body was moving in that direction but my brain refused to believe. In fact, on the drive to the lake, my brain seemed to be saying - best of luck, not sure how you plan on running 9 miles without me. My legs were clearly on their own. Sometimes I can visualize my run. I know the distance I am going to go and I can see me doing the entire thing. Even through the rough spots. Today, I couldn't see anything. I would have bet against me. Luckily, my legs took over and did it with no moral support. Thanks legs. You really came through.

I'm still not sure how I managed to do this today. I'm still bitter about having to go at all. That's about the dumbest sounding thing ever. But sometimes you don't have a choice. Or rather you decide you have no other choice.

We went to Punch pizza for dinner tonight. That made the evening WONDERFUL. I think I should have Punch pizza after every long run. Now that's a challenge I can get behind! Speaking of challenges, I've been doing the Jillian 30 Day Shred with a friend. We are 6 days deep and it IS actually starting to get better. I seemed to get weaker before starting to get stronger. Hopefully this upward trend continues. But seriously, I like the Punch challenge. I am going to see how many weekends in a row I can eat Punch Pizza after a long run. It might get difficult, but I think I can rise to the occasion!

Last Thursday I had the best swimming day to date. I swam 100 m in 2:15, 10 times. I was quite pleased for two reasons. 1) I always love a challenge I can feel successful at. What's the point of having a completely absurd goal that you won't reach for 7 years. Why not instead make smaller goals that still make you work but can make you feel successful when done. I couldn't believe I could just keep going. But I did, and I finally, for once, didn't feel overwhelmed at swim class. 2) It was a hard workout for me, but I did the whole thing. I feel like I am becoming a better swimmer (not to mention the wonders swimming has done cardiovascular wise with running) but also the workout was more within my reach. Someday soon I'll build up to the real workout he planned for us: 100m in 1:45, 10 times, but until then it's nice to be able to know you worked really hard and did the thing.

No comments: