Sunday, February 10, 2008

I should write for Shape magazine

You know how in fitness magazines they always have tips and new ways to workout that make workouts fun and better than ever? Well this is something I recently discovered, though not on my own. So this is my Shape debut. If I wrote for Shape.

Now that the weather has turned colder in most regions, people are flocking to the gym like seagulls. If you're anything like me, an "easy 3" on the treadmill turns into 3 minutes not three miles. What's a girl to do when she finds herself needing to log the miles for an upcoming event yet no where to run? There is a clear need to spice the treadmill up, stay on track and put in the miles all at the same time. When the need is there, I say grab a friend and get running. Here is a trick my friend and I have done a few times and it really makes running on the treadmill more bearable. You will need to buy a earphone splitter ($7.99 at RadioShack) and each of you should start working on your most motivational playlists. One run you bring the playlist and the next time your friend brings it. To really change things up you can split the playlists during runs. For example if you are both running for 4 miles, one has a playlist for 3 miles and then the other is responsible for the stretch. We have found that it makes running more of a companionship. It feels more like when you are side by side outside going through the same experience. You can almost feel the energy between you as a great new song that you both love begins. That's when you turn look at each other and nod in silent agreement that, yes in fact, we are rocking this run. Sharing the same music lets you enjoy music you may not typically listen to, it makes the time go faster wondering what is going to be next; it keeps things interesting on an otherwise droning run.

I probably won't quit my day job in pursuit of a journalism career, but this is my fitness tip of the week. If ever anyone tries it, I hope it brightens your fluorescent lighted, closed caption reading, seems to take forever run.

1 comment:

Steve Stenzel said...

Sorry, not gonna help me. I HATE the treadmill! Nice post though!!