Thursday, February 7, 2008

Benched!

Tuesday night was my snowboarding lesson. I was having fun, I liked the kid instructor (he was about 17...maybe 16) l; it was going great. Then with about a 1/2 hour left in the session, faster than I could think, I caught the edge of my board and went down hard on my butt. Hard. Something cracked. I was sure it was the pointy part of my spine breaking completely off. Yowza!! The pain was so intense. It took me a few minutes to regain my composure and make it down the hill. I went back up one more time to see if I could continue or not. Not. I kept thinking that if I fell one more time I would probably shoot to the moon in pain. The thing is, I was really in pain, but didn't want to quit. How can I explain to people that this is serious? I hurt. Then I thought, heck with it. I hurt. I don't care what anyone thinks. I made sure to let them know I would be back next week though.

The lady from the nurses hotline was very comforting. She told me to keep an eye on it (who knows how that is supposed to work), try sitting on some frozen peas (but probably don't want to eat them later) and maybe I should take up swimming. I decided to spare her the details about how after I run a 1/2 marathon in April I fully intended to take up swimming while training for a triathlon in July. I think that this is usually gratuitous information that people besides myself don't really care about. Shocking as it may sound, not everyone cares that I can run. Secretly, I think that some people don't even think it's that cool. Of course I don't know these people, but I suspect they are out there.

Two days later, and I'm not much better. Nothing I can do really; just cope with the pain. Running is on hold, sit-ups are on hold, snowboarding is certainly on hold. I really don't want to miss a session because it's been so fun so I might try this new strategy I thought of. It's simple, it only has one thing to remember; it's called "Don't Fall". If I don't fall, it won't hurt. Yeah. This sounds completely doable.

Plan for the weekend is to take it easy, jog/run as much as I can depending how I feel. When Monday rolls around I want to be healthy and pain free to start this training thing officially!

2 comments:

miss petite america said...

oh god i hate butt pain. makes going to the bathroom so difficult!

Emily said...

Wouldn't you know it - the number one advice I got from all types of people: Eat lots of fiber!