Sunday, November 11, 2007

What a weekend!

This has been a great weekend. Many may find in not very notable at all, but I really enjoyed my days. Friday morning (ok - so not really part of a weekend, but still; it was a good day) I gave my ice breaker speech in Toastmasters. I'm not sure you could find a less threatening group of people anywhere, yet I was quite nervous. I'm always fearful that what I have prepared is not good enough. I practiced my speech probably 50 times, so I had it down. During my presentation I could feel my voice quivering and my hands shaking. But nobody noticed!! I even specifically asked one person and he said he couldn't tell. I'm scared a lot. I don't know what to do often and I sometimes have to do difficult things I don't want to do. But here is the thing. I fake it. If it has to be done and I don't want to or am afraid to, I pretend I'm not and just do it. Shut off all of the feelings of anxiety about whatever it is; they don't exist because they don't have room to exist. Not if you are going to get through what it is you have to do. After my speech many people commented on how prepared I was and how well I did. I was so relieved and ready to practice again! To add to my euphoria, when I walked outside afterward it was snowing :) Bring on winter. I'm ready!

Friday evening I went to a yoga class and then saw American Gangster. The movie was better than the class. In fact, the movie was really good. I especially liked how they never let you forget that this guy was a bad guy. Whenever they would show Frank (the gangster) with his family or friends or loving wife, they would flash to scenes of all the destruction and damage he was causing so the audience didn't forget.

Saturday, I had breakfast with a friend and then went home to clean my house. The cleaning bug bites me very very infrequently. I clean, but rarely am I ever in the mood. Who is, right? But I felt like cleaning, so I got a lot accomplished. In the middle of the afternoon though I took a break for a long overdue run. The weather was cold. That was a shock, but I got over it luckily. I ended up running close to 5 miles. I hadn't run since I ran a blazin' 3.1 miles Oct. 11th. Turns out 5 is the old 5 again. It was more difficult than I remember, but I did it. My average pace was 10:15, which was another shocker. My legs can feel it today!

More cleaning, crocheting and cooking finished out the day. Today, is church and a family birthday party for my boyfriend. Should be a great leasurly Sunday. We are also going to sign up for the Turkey Day 5k. I am reluctantly doing so, but I think if I don't I will regret it on race day. Plus, what better way to start Turkey Day!? Making room for 400 extra calories that I am sure to need with all the mashed potatoes and stuffing. Yum, yum!!!

To Do: Find the training plan for "One-Week to Race Day" The procrastinator guide to a 5k.

No comments: