Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cooking Success

Kale-alulia - dinner was a success. I tried the whole baked kale thing and it was much MUCH better than collard greens. Collard greens are yucky. My friend told me so, so it must be true. And she's from the south so she would know. If only I had known before dinner last night.

Collard greens are too chewy and to potent of a flavor. Kale is light, slightly chewier than spinach with a slightly different flavor, but mild and something I can swallow.

I also found a magazine recipe keeper. Chicken with Dijon sauce or something. I went TOTALLY crazy and added mushroom which were not in the original recipe. I know. I should write a cook book.

Then for dessert I modified a recipe for apple crisp into individual cups and used peaches instead. Dinner was so good and warm. I guess I just gotta keep trying.

Here's what's also on my mind. I signed up for a pasta making class in November (1 night only). We have birthing classes every Wednesday in October, piano lessons on Thursdays (which start tomorrow - yiy), regular exercise to fit in and a house to clean. Oh and I'm busy at work. I've really wanted to get a big girl camera (one with a lens and manual/automatic operations) and learn how to use it but 1) they aren't cheap so I better be serious and 2) can I afford the time to take a 2-5 lesson class on using a digital camera? I think this is going to have to be an at-home-study for the time being.

This leads into pictures. I want to start experimenting more with picture taking and angles and interesting views. I have a photographer friend who takes AMAZING pictures. While she's a professional and I'll never be at that caliber, I want to take interesting, beautiful, memorable pictures of my future kid. So I need to learn how to use my camera better, perhaps get a new one all together and also learn how to be creative so I can see the "good shots".

Look for these "good shots" or horribly bad -aka learning experience- shots. Practice should help.

No comments: