Monday, August 3, 2009

Sunday Long Run Report


I made it. Longest run ever! And 14 felt so good, I did 15.5! That's a complete lie. 14 was rough, but I was half way around Harriet and the other 3 girls and I decided to just finish it out. We had run the whole way together, we should finish together. Is was a really good run. Difficult, but fun. I haven't broken out like that in a long time. It's been over a year since my last longest run ever and I forgot how much it hurts. But it seems like the higher the mileage, the more it hurts to add. Or maybe that's just where I am at right now. I felt really good about that run.

Around mile 11 my lower back on the left side starting hurting so bad. I've never experienced that before. The pain was shooting down and around through my hip. I was stretching every which way I could every chance I got, but it didn't help much. Even walking later that day and the next I would get the pain. Seems like certain movements would make it flare up. Good thing I'm going to the Dr for a tune up soon!

This Saturday is the Gopher to Badger 1/2 and I'm looking forward it. Two of the girls I run with signed up also so that will be really nice to see friendly faces. I've heard it's hot as you run on a highway lined with corn fields, but I'm going to take my electrolyte tablets that I just got and see how that works for me. After hearing reports about the heat this may not be a PR kind of day, but we'll see how it goes. I'm out for fun on this one for sure. It's my birthday for crying out loud - I refuse to be disappointed.

Sunday was 3-5 miles of recovery, which turned out to be 2.5 miles for me. Eh - close enough. Because it was ROUGH. Oh was I exhausted. But today? Waalaa!(that's the American spelling) ack to 100% again. Can you believe it? I can't. I was so stiff and sore and tired Saturday and most of Sunday, I didn't know if I could make it on Tuesday. But the recovery walk on Saturday and the run on Sunday WORK WONDERS. Veteran runners are probably thinking "Well, duh" but this is new to me, so I am still in shock that running when you are tired actually helps.

I still have that right quad that feels strained. The massage therapist said it was noticeably tighter then lefty. And my left knee still makes itself know that it is not happy, I'm assuming because it is picking up the slack of Right Quad. I have a Birthday Physical scheduled for Wednesday and I'm going to ask the Dr. about all this. I don't know what to try to nip it in the bud....PT, chiropractor, stretching? I'm still on the fence about chiropractors helping much, but some people swear by them. And I hate to spend a lot of money on PT if there are some exercises I can do at home. Especially since I am in the Annoyance Phase of aches and pains. I just don't want to enter the Debilitating Phase at any point.

1 comment:

SueBob said...

Hey - I did about 15.5 at Lake Harriet this weekend too...but I did it on Sunday. It was a distance PR for me as well. Congrats!!

Good luck on your half this weekend! I hear it is going to be HOT on Saturday - I will be thinking of you out there.