Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Takin' er easy

On Monday night I ran with my girls who are working on their first 5k. I set them up with the Couch to 5k plan and said I would run 1 night a week with them and they do the other 2 on their own. It's been so much fun! I'm so excited to see the running excitement on their faces. My cousin is especially gung ho. Like I said - awesome to see. Running makes me feel so good, I think everyone should be able to experience that some way or another. Anyway, we go at a pretty easy pace for me, but man, my knee was giving me troubles. I kind of hobbled along the whole time thinking that this can't be good. I spent a good deal of time afterwards foam rollering, stretching and doing strength exercises.

Today then for our group run, we did hill repeats. It was about a 1/2 mile long incline that we just looped 6 times (ahem - or some of us did 4). We warmed up for 2 miles and my knee felt ok, didn't hurt as often or as much. Then I chose to run only the uphill and walk down. It ended up to be about 4.5 miles. I think that the downhills that I have been running each Tuesday night are what's contributing to my knee trouble. At any rate, it feels good now. I'm going to finish tonight with the same foam rollering/stretching/strengthening routine and take the rest of the week easy. I want to keep it around 25 miles and make sure I'm rested for the half on Saturday.

No comments: