Friday, May 29, 2009

Pizza and Beer: The demise of a good runner

Last night's run was so much less than satisfying. I know I can do better. I know I run better than that. I was trying to do to much. I was trying to run without walk breaks and try to run 10 minute miles (on average). Neither happened. In fact I ended up walking far more that I usually do: 12 minute miles was more the pace. But that isn't the too much I was referring too. That should have been a challenge, not "too much". No, last night we went to happy hour because of the looming threat that an old hangout would soon be closed and we felt we had to visit one last time for nostalgia. I drank 3/4 of a Mich Golden Light. Blech! Why do I even bother? I bothered because it was cold and I new I was running so I didn't want to over do it but still wanted a brewski. And we ordered a pizza. I had 3 squares and a triangle.

Which - side note - how come when pizza is cut into squares you can eat the entire thing because, heck, what's just one more small square? But with slices, you're like "2 slices, whew! I'm full!" Hmmmm.......

Anyway, I left dutifully at 7 with some remorse that I even mentioned I was running because then people were like "You better get going" - Yeah, well you're not the boss of me! (just kidding). I fed the dog and headed out about 40 minutes after the pizza. I'm pretty sure I would have been ok with 3/4 beer sans pizza. Typical symptoms, lump in your stomach, heartburn, lethargy. And I only had 3 squares! And a small triangle. So, it was too much to reasonably think I could get happy hour and a run in (in that order). I keep telling myself time and again, get your "job" done before the fun but also, I'm never one to be left out of a party. I couldn't bear the thought of warm sun and cold beer, pizza and my friends having the best time of their entire lives.....without me.

The run sucked on a number of levels. First though, it had to be one of the most perfect days weather wise. I at least enjoyed that a great deal. But my hamstrings were so sore. This was a real shock to me because I'm never that sore. I never have injuries. I started running with my left leg straight because it hurt Mr. Hami to kick back with my leg and my right leg was doing all the work to compensate for the lack of thrust coming from the left. I think this means I need a rest. POOF! Done. I'm headed to Chicago with a friend today. Just because I'm a jet setter like that. To Chicago. Randomly. And I signed up for a 10K on Sunday - Share Your Soles. The online registration said there were 183 participants so I should be fairly easy to spot. I'll be last; I'm not getting my hopes up or anything though :) Rest today, walking and sight seeing tomorrow and I should be right as rain by Sunday. Ready to try out those 10 minute miles again because in a race scenario - anything is possible!

1 comment:

WaveNinja said...

Too bad such a delicious meal had such a bad impact. Though I'm not experienced in any way, I usually run the day after a bad dinner. Gives the body time to recuperate and the mind time to come up with some extra motivation for the run ;-)