Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Progressive Post

Beginning of a post from about a week ago:

Here's the way I like to do things. I listen. Someone teaches and talks and I listen. Then I observe. I focus on the details and really visualize what's going on. I start slow. If its a mental thing then I work in groups and try to listen more or individual I attempt something small. If physical I still take it slow concentrating on every aspect of what I heard and saw. Then - TaDAAA!- I'm good at it. At least that's how it goes in my mind. So I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm not a master swimmer after 3 practices! I'm not so good on the practice. All my life when I don't get something immediatly I give up. Because early on in life I didn't have to work at things. Stuff came naturally and when it came time to buckle down because things weren't coming so easily I didn't want to because I was used to just getting things. I shouldn't have to work, I should just know.

I get it. Everyone has to practice. Even Tiger Woods and Michael Phelps still practice. I know I'm doing fine. I know I just have to put in the time and practice. Yeah, yeah. I get it. But I'm still frustrated.

Few days ago:

I wish I could say that I feel much better about where things are but I can't. Not really. I ran 7 miles on Sunday and once again thought my legs would fall off. It was all I could do to finish. I have one more long run before the 10 mile which is 8 miles hopefully on Saturday. I would feel a lot better about picking up those 2 miles on race day if I can finish the 8 miles with any dignity or at least an ounce of energy to spare.

I ran the TC 1-Mile last Thursday. Beat my time from last year by 10 seconds, but I guess I expected more. 10 seconds is good, but more would have been better. Course this year I didn't nearly lose a lung so I guess that's an improvement.

And I must start riding my bike. Or some sort of bike. Geez, I can't believe that I'm in the pool more than on a bike. Never though I'd see that day. I'm officially signed up for the triathlon in July. I got a $10 discount for being a Lifetime member, but then charged an extra $10 for not being a USATF (or whatever) member. What's that all about. I can't help feeling robbed somehow.

Today:

Had a run with the running group. We did fartleks. That went ok, started off strong and then completely faded to shorter sprints and some walking in between. I've seen in a million times at the track. Your horse is out in front for first 1/2 or so and then going into the first turn a few horses catch up. Making the final turn into the stretch it looks like he's going backward as Derek Bell and whatever horse he is on zooms by for a huge close and the victory. Yeah. I'm that horse. (not the one that speeds by in the stretch). But I did have this enjoyable thought:

I keep telling myself that the only person I have to best is myself. I may run past this person or that person but what does it really mean? There will always be someone faster. I like to focus on making myself proud, knowing how hard I worked and meeting my own goals. So the fact that I only did 10 seconds better than my last 1-Mile time, why, that just means that I am really hard to beat. :)

No comments: