Friday, September 5, 2008

Shoes - Let's obsess shall we?

I bought two pairs of shoes last night because I cannot decide which I like better. One is a stability shoe and one is cushioning. Well, let me start at the beginning I guess. I was going to buy Pearl Izumi's. I have come to love, love, love those shoes. They feel really solid. Since there is no exact formula for what is the best shoe hands down we have to go with what feels good. Sometimes I think too much emphasis is put on this shoe business, but whatever. I encourage the obsession at times too. But I go with what works. And I don't care if I don't need a stability shoe because I'm a normal pronator, it feels good and mentally I think it helps. I would wear flip flops if I thought it gave me any sort of edge to cross a finish line.

I march into the store and say I want to try on the Pearl Izumi SynchroInfinity in an 8.5. No problem. I also want to try on the SynchroFloats. No problem. Then he says "Have you tried the Mizuno Creations, or how about a Nike Triax, or Brooks something...." like he is trying to help me find the best possible shoe or something! The nerve! I'll skip why I didn't like Aisics, Brooks or Nike to say right now that I really liked the Mizuno's. A lot. But my brain was going "no! no! no! - we love Pearls remember!!!". So I bought both. I can't keep both. I will take both to the gym and run in both and make a final decision at some point.

Here's pictures of the shoes. Please post your vote in the comments! I'm trying to break my all time comment record of 4.







Mizuno Creation 9











Pearl Izumi
SynchroInfinity






I can't decide because I like them both equally for different reasons. I like the Mizuno's (left) because the feel like the shoe and my foot are one. Like I am barely wearing a shoe at all. At the same time they are firm and I can feel the arch support. I don't feel like there is much between my foot and the road; I don't like a lot of cushioning because it feels like I am sliding around on it. I'm not that light in my loafers, you know? Also at the end of long runs I tend to get sloppy so while I don't need and stability for up to 6 miles, after that I don't control myself so I need the shoe to pick up some of the slack and not let my ankles turn in.

I like the Pearl's (right) because the feel like a really solid shoe. I can feel the stability in the pads of my feet when I hit the ground, good arch support. It just feels more substantial. But it also feels like maybe I don't need all that substance? Course I'm not exactly worn out when I jog around the store so maybe I'll appreciate the extra sense of a solid shoe at the end of 10 miles. I guess it is coming down to me trying something new that I think will work, or sticking with what I know I like and what works.

Yes yes, I can get one now and then the other after that pair wears out, but I don't have that long of an attention span. I'll forget my longing in another 300+ miles and find a replacement for the new "must have, will always love" shoe.

What do you think?
How do I decide?
Any advice?

1 comment:

MissAllycat said...

Have you seen High School Musical??

"No, no, noooo....stick to the stuff you knooooow..."

I stay stick with the Pearls. Because:
a) they are prettier (I love that greenish yellow)
b) you know they work. I know you've already heard this story...so think of this as a highlight reel. :) ...I wore the Asics Nimbus and loved them...but a part of me wanted to try something new and different. I tried the Asics 2130s. And I looooved them. Until I hit about 150 miles. And then my IT band and knees got PISSED. I switched back to the Nimbus immediately...and my knee and IT pain was gone within a week.

I will never stray again.