Monday, September 22, 2008

In the end

It was totally worth it. I completed my 10-Mile training program with 11 miles on Sunday. I was excited for the run for many reasons.

1. I was going to have family around to encourage me. And run with me for the last 3 miles or so.
2. Last weeks 10 mile sucked because I was trying something new. Wanted to eliminate walk breaks. But now I know. I feel better, finish stronger AND am faster when I incorporate well timed walks. This run could not be worse or more painful than last week.
3. This was the LAST long run before the 10 mile.
4. My attitude. I just feeeeeeeeelt like this is going to be a great run. This run was my Everest (for this training session).

I am happy to report that this run will be listed in "The Top 5 Best Runs - EVER".

1. Bolder Boulder 2006. Ran with my dad.
2. 1st 1/2 marathon - Earth Day 1/2, April 2008
3. Turkey Run 5k - 2007. Fast and beautiful.
4. 11 mile training run with family
5.

I spent the weekend at my grandma's house with a good lot of my extended family there. We picked apples from the tree on Saturday, went to the local parks and had a great day playing in the beautiful weather. The only regrettable thing was that I couldn't stay up very late to talk with my cousins because I had to get up early the next morning to run. Oh - I also regret not having enough time to go down the water slide at the hotel. That was unfortunate.

My aunt and uncle and 3 cousins (15, 12, 10) said they planned to rotate in and run the whole way with me!! I expected to be alone for the majority of the run so this was a most welcome surprise. We started at my cousin's house which is kind of in the country and took the long way to my grandma's house. The fam rotated about 2 mile legs with at least 2 of them running at a time. At about .3 miles in we passed a field of about 5-6 horses and as we ran by they ran along the fence past us to the other end of the field. It was really cool. We talked until about mile 8.5 - which I usually would have quit talking about mile 3 and I felt great. I extended my run time between walk breaks and I still felt great. The weather was perfect, the course was new and fun and I even managed negative splits! Holy cow! When I got to grandma's there was a note that said "Breakfast is on the counter and coffee is made" (everyone was at the hotel swimming or at church), so I had cantaloupe and scones from Great Harvest bakery courtesy of my most talented baker cousin. There is nothing better after a run than Great Harvest race rolls. Or Great Harvest fruit muffins. Or Great Harvest Berry Scones. Or.... you get the idea. This was one of those weekends you remember as the good 'ol days.

I am so ready for this run. I'm so excited. I'm also really nervous that I'll let myself down. What if it doesn't go as great? What if I try to push harder and I run out of steam? What if I don't push hard enough and I feel like I could have done more?

Maybe I'll take a look at what else is on my list for the next few weeks since the running is slowing down for the next few weeks.......I notice that "Crochet blanket for cousin" has been up there for a while.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your family. Always have. I have met a lot of them and I just want to get it out there again that they are great.

Of course, you covered that too!

Way to go, E! You're fab. Congrats on the run.

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job on the run! And maybe we'll see you out at the 10 mile!

AND YES!!! I DO hate water chestnuts too!! All they are are "crunch;" they have no flavor!! But I hate them!

;)

*jen* said...

YAY! Congrats on the awesome run!

Mike said...

Good luck on the big race! Sounds to me like you are ready.