Friday, September 14, 2007

Running Recap

The Beginnings of a Runner
One day during the summer of 2005 I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I started to run. At the end of September that year, friends from work and I ran 2 miles one Friday afternoon as part of Wellness Week at work. And by ran I mean ran, struggled,walked and eventually jogged across the finish line. I was rough! In my defense we were hung over, but still it would have been a challenge. Shortly there after I decided that if I was going to be a runner I needed a goal. Two fiends and I started training for the 2006 Bolder Boulder 10K.

Race History
My first 5K was a practice race for the Bolder Boulder. It was the Colon Cancer 5k. I finished in 35:18. I thought it was amazing. I just ran 3.1 miles!!! The accomplishment fueled my motivation. The Bolder Boulder was so much fun. Just an amazing race. I would recommend it to anyone interested in a fun 10K. There were so many people clapping for me. Well me and the other 50,000 runners. But when you run into the Boulder CU stadium you feel like you are a true athlete. The stands are filled and it seems like people are on their feet just for you. I ran that race the entire way with my dad. I cried when I crossed the finish line because it is something I never thought that I could do. Ever. In high school when we had to run the mile for the Presidential fitness test, I was the girl who took so long they would say "Ok - time's up. Just come on back". It was one of the best feelings of my life.

To Date
In between May 2006 and today, I have run several 5ks, the 2007 Bolder Boulder and many miles in between. There were times when I had to train back up to just make 3 miles, and times when I was knocking seconds off my 5K times. Today I am training for the Twin Cities 10 Mile. So far this has been the most enjoyable, most rewarding training session of my running career. I just finished my my second 10-miler and there are 3 weeks to race day. I regret not starting this blog earlier because I have had some runs where I felt so beat up afterwards, so broken down, but so amazing because I just pushed my body to its limits, that I would have liked to record those feelings. Maybe I'll have to type some historical recaps later on.

Today is Monday. Tomorrow I run 6 miles. I can't wait. Did those words seriously just come out of my mouth? Getting to this point has taken a year and a half. I have never felt about running the way I do now. The runs are still a challange but my attitude now is more like "bring it on".

No comments: