Friday, September 21, 2007

Mental Illness Part II

The schedule called for 6. I did it. 6.2 actually. And it was the fastest 10K ever! I was the fastest one in the whole run today. So what if I was the only one. I beat 3 months ago me. She was slow. 1:04:41 was the time. It was a good run. My shoes felt good. The blister I have been tying to baby started to rub pretty badly around mile 2 and I had to compensate by changing my stride. This made the outer part of my leg between my knee and ankle ache until I got used to it and the muscle warmed up. I was breathing well. I had a cramp in my right side. That subsided only when the hunger pains started at around 4.5 miles. Water is not very filling. Nor does it add much energy to your body. Who knew? I kept drinking water though, hoping it would fill some of the void. No luck. My stomach was like "Yeah - she's putting something in the mouth....wait for it.....wait for....WHAT THE HELL! This is just water! I've been trixied!!!" The weather was perfect. There were about 20 -30 mph gusts of wind from, I think, every direction I was running. So yeah. The run was great. No sarcasm. So much of running is just a mind game you play with yourself. I had a great run despite some minor setbacks. Sometimes those 'minor' setbacks are impossible mountains to climb with no end in sight. On a good day you can appretiate them for the endurance and strength they build in you. Oh, and I would like to personally thank Janis Joplin singing "Take Another Little Piece of My Heart" for getting me through mile 4.

On top of the record land speed I did the drop and give me 10 strategy at miles 4, 5 and 6. It's not that I so much want to do this or need the break, but I'm already doing something which is difficult for me, if I add a challenge the regular 6 miles seems like a break.

1 comment:

MissAllycat said...

You kicked my ass - I ran 6 in 1:07:41. Which translated to one hour, seven minutes and 41 seconds of pure and unadulterated hell. Hands down, one of my worst runs in my life.

Glad you had a good run, though!! :)