Friday, September 21, 2007

Master of the Toast

Friday is a good day. It began with a new interest. At 7:15 I attended a Toastmasters meeting. Toastmasters is an organization for folks who want to improve on their public speaking skill or get more comfortable speaking to an audience. I think this is something that could give me a edge in the workforce or at least help me present myself better in meetings. I generally feel fine speaking in front of people, but also feel there are areas I can use some practice and feedback. The meetings are at 7:15 every Friday. It requires I be 45 minutes late to work but my boss is ok with that. The meeting followed a very rigid agenda which I thought cheezy at first but quickly realized that with repetition comes habit. The habits being formed were to become at ease with your audience, be respectful, and to stay on task. With every change in the floor leader, each new speaker (and there were several of them) would stand and begin by addressing the Toastmaster, fellow Toastmasters and Honored Guest Emily (that's me). You get used to it. Oh and at the end you have to pay a nickel for every ah, um and hesitation in speech. I wonder how much a swear words costs there? This is going to be a good thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's face it...You're 'Brown's' new salesperson (we need someone with excellent speaking skills).