Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mental Illness

The schedule called for 6. I went 3.5. What can I say? I didn't feel it. It was raining. Not the "I enjoy horseback riding on the beach, running in the rain, and cuddling" kind of raining, but "Oh no! It's raining. HARD!" An outside run was out of the question for me. So I went to the gym and eeked out a measly 3.5 in probably 45 minutes or so. Mentally, I just wasn't with it. I think I can list some reasons why my head wasn't in the game today, but don't really want to get into it. The last two weeks have been great as far as running is concerned. For that reason I am not letting tonight's run get me down. So what if I had a bad run. Doesn't mean the next one is going to be bad. Doesn't mean my training is compromised. It means I had A (ONE) bad run. Now that I have accepted responsibility for my actions I also have a few excuses about why I wasn't with it:
  • I was too full from supper
  • It was H-O-T upstairs in the gym
  • I wore bad shorts
  • It was H-O-T
  • And finally, it was hot. I was sweating from my nose. Do you even have sweat glands on your nose??

Mind Games: "I can't work under these conditions! Where's Murray my manager!!!! Murry!!! Explain to my friends and family why I quit. It's like the Amazon rain forest in here. Lance Armstrong wouldn't put up with these conditions! How can I be expected to achieve with less than perfect conditions."

And if we thought like that all the time, nothing would get accomplished. Thank goodness it was just one run.

In other news, belly dancing has moved from the hopper to the schedule. Starting next Tuesday I will be learning the ancient art of middle eastern dance. I don't really know if it is ancient or not. I made that part up. I do know that it requires a lot of stomach muscles even if they don't show through the fat. This is the perfect art for me!

No comments: