Wednesday, August 27, 2008

That's a Fact, Jack!!

(Post was started Sunday night and is referring to the run from that day)

You know, Emily, just when I think you couldn’t be any worse of a runner, you go out and have a run like that.

And totally REDEEM yourself!!!

After last weeks horrible debacle of a long run I thought this whole training thing up to the 10 mile was going to be uphill the whole way. Good for building endurance but very hard on the ego. My goal again for this run was to feel successful. In order for me to feel successful I wanted to feel good during the entire run. I always feel good for the first 2 minutes but after the first 1.5 miles it can be a major struggle. I feel out of breath, not able to catch up. My heart pounds or my legs are dead weight. Just couldn’t seem to find the right combination to feel comfortable. I would go out and just run what I feel and then end up giving up and feeling unsuccessful. Or I would try to go as fast as I could thinking I could pull it of for a short distance. Whatever would go wrong it was frustrating. The only thing not frustrating was that I was putting in the miles. But I wanted to enjoy it. Is that so wrong?


But this run, I was successful. I felt good the whole run. I ran 10 minutes and walked 1 the whole way and you know what. The first mile was my slowest. I got faster with each mile. That never happens to me! And at the end I felt so good. I wasn't completely spent. I was challenged; it's not like the entire run was a cake walk. I wanted to walk a bit more at the end but I kept going. It was just what I wanted and what I expect running to be. A bit of a test of will and spirit, but a good accomplished feeling at the end.

7 miles in the books.

No comments: