Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Frustrations

I don’t really believe that unless I complete every single workout to the exact specifications of the training plan I won’t be able to do the triathlon. But still, I am very frustrated that there never seems to be enough time to have fun with friends, relax with myself, and spend time with my boyfriend and workout enough.

I’m just very frustrated that in the 3 weeks of training, I haven’t really gotten the full load of what I wanted to do in. My #1 priority is running. 15 miles a week. Period. This week I am going to be 1 bike and 2 strength training and 1 swim short. But here is the thing, I’m not sure what more I’m willing to sacrifice. I don’t want my life to revolve around the next race any more that it already is. I’m focused sure, but come on, there is more I want to do in a week. I think what I need to do is stick to a reasonable plan. Is it reasonable to workout for 30-60 minutes every day? I think so. Is it reasonable to cram 2-3 workouts a day in for 4 days because I took 3 days off? I think NOT. I know myself well enough to know that this is unnecessary and I will burn out quickly.

But still, I have the problem of this week. I’m going out of town this weekend. I think I’ll be able to get 3-5 miles of running in while on vacation. Yesterday I was sick (today it is still lingering) and tomorrow I have my speedy 1 mile to run. I guess I am going to have to make biking the priority tonight and running the main even for tomorrow.

This whole post reeks of complaints. I hope though, that it reminds me that if I have to miss a workout for a really good night out with friends, I’m ok with that. And if I have to miss a happy hour to get in a really good bike ride, I’m ok with that too. Balance. That’s the key I guess. This week just feels like the balance has been shifted too much towards not working out. I don’t see that this could have been avoided and that is what is making me frustrated.

No comments: