Monday, December 13, 2010

Catching Up Part 1: Baby News

I want this baby to be here!  Most people I hear start saying this towards the last 2 weeks when things are unbearable and they can't take it anymore; I'm at 33 weeks.  I just want the baby here because I can't wait to stare at it for hours and hours!  I can't complain about pregnancy.  98% of the stuff I read and hear others talk about as changes and side effects happening hasn't happened to me.  I could do this for a whole year! (mothers out there, ask me again how I feel towards the end of January)  Except I want to SEE THIS BABY!


I never got into prenatal yoga.  I never got into anything physical really.  I'm starting to see how this whole labor thing is going to be a big endurance test.  How long can you be exhausted and tolerate the pain.  Can't I compare birthing to running a marathon even a tiny bit?  I'm not saying easy-peasy just because I ran, but somewhere in me I like to think that I've learned how to dig deep, to persevere and just. keep. going.  So hopefully some of what I've learned running coupled with all the birthing classes we've done has prepared me the best that one can be prepared for something that's no less then an absolute miracle.  Still, lesson learned - keeping up some sort of physical regime to maintain stamina will prove indispensable.


First we started with Hypnobirthing and I cannot say enough how much I loved this class.  Get past the weird sounding "hypnosis" stereotype that you may be thinking about (I was) and it's really this wonderful way of relaxing and just letting go.  Breathing, visualizing and remaining completely aware of your surroundings and body.  The only con was that I thought they portrayed "medical births" in a somewhat negative light; like the big bad hospital will make you do it this way!  On the other hand, knowing the most drastic scenario helps us prepare for anything.  When we got to the hospital classes on childbirth, they actually start with, and cover in length, natural child birth and a lot of the same techniques: breathing, relaxation, visualization.  The impression I got was that they offer choices including being supporting of natural child birth plus  any number of options for those who wish to start with interventions (epidurals are interventions).  Hypnobirthing was just the how-to of what the hospital also recommended.  


Not to get on too much of a tangent, but I've just always thought I would do the natural thing.  At any rate, I'm glad we have learned about all the options, so I can make informed decisions when things don't go according to plan.  The only thing I'm 100% sure of is that I don't know how things are going to go down, but we will be able to make the right choice at the time even if that means veering from the plan.

No comments: