Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Time to stop being polite and start getting real

For the past 3 months I have been being polite to my body. Because I was asking a lot to train for a marathon, I appeased it in other ways. Like abstaining from all other forms of exercise and indulging in every treat my heart desired. I was like a first time grandmother when the parents are away - "Anything you want dear".

And that worked for me for a while. I was exercising enough and building more muscle to live the dream baby. Eat whatever you want and still stay slim. Until today.

I can walk! I can walk normal again! There is some residual aches, but I can see the light, I have exercised the demons! But my pants are a little snug. And my abs are more like fl-abs. My shoulders seem less toned.

This woman I run with congratulated me for at least getting 1/3 of my day right when I told her I always start with a good-for-me breakfast, but it goes downhill from there. And while I love her outlook, we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is a habit. To paraphrase Aristotle. And to prove it, I've got great legs, but the rest of me feels like a french fry.

No complaining mind you - these are the facts Jack. And the facts are saying "lift a weight", "drop the brownie", "do a sit-up", "forget the bagel".

I'm not quite sure how this is gonna shake out, but the foggy vision in my brain has a few goals that I'll need to detail out. And soon.
  1. Cross train - yoga, weights, swimming, group classes, spin
  2. Think healthy - not indulgent. Fuel for the body, not comfort for the brain
  3. Get faster so I can run a 2:20 1/2 marathon on Halloween - a PR by 4 minutes

And just so that these goals are a real challenge; I'm super busy this week to start. But what else is new. That's life right. Life can't wait for that perfect day to start. Tonight before my post-marathon party with my group I'm going to try to go 1-2 miles on the treadmill and then some core work and/or weights. I better make sure I have a plan before I get to the gym. A plan ALWAYS helps. Never trust a man without a plan. Just kidding - I just threw that in there to add credibility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The fact that you're paraphrasing Aristotle is credit to you being a smart woman in a great body. Love your blog.