Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Glamour DO

Do: Splish splash through puddles during your run so your legs and shoes looked like you just went through the trenches and Kept......On......Going.

The best looking legs of the day award goes to this girl who passed me around the lake today wearing knee length black spandex, pigtails, and a black t-shirt. During the first 20 minutes of my run I was avoiding all of the puddles and flinching when I could feel the back spray on my legs and thought about my beautiful shoes getting dirty. Then I saw this girl, running on, legs dirty from all the spray, feet inevitably wet, running on. Her legs looked awesome! It looked like she had grit, like sometimes it's not pretty, but you just run on. I wanted my legs to look like that! So, I stopped trying to avoid the puddles (much to the chagrin of the other 10,000 people who were on that path). And on the return trip I ran straight through the section of path that always collect huge puddles when the snow melts because it dips in the middle. Hopefully my shoes will look worn, not never used.

Also, because I was inspired by the beautiful day, I thought, what if I smile all the time. Maybe some people will pass me and think "Look at that girl running. She looks like running is the best thing in the world. Why, just look how happy she looks". And then maybe they would want to try running too. Or maybe they would smile back. Or just think, what's that idiot smiling about? I tried it, but turns out it's not natural or super easy to smile while trying to rhythmically breath through your mouth. So that didn't last too long, but it was a good thought.

The 5k on Saturday was, ok. Turns out I was bitter, so nothing was really enjoyable yesterday. I was bitter because after what I thought was a decent week, I thought I would be down at least .2 pounds at Weight Watchers. But nope. Nada. Zip. NOT A SINGLE OUNCE. It was really upsetting because I've been feeling great about my choices. But the good news is, the past two times this has happened to me, something was different. I didn't want to cash in my chips and give up. I just thought, well I enjoyed my week no matter what the scale showed. I guess no loss is disappointing but I still had a good week. I'll just keep following the plan.

Anyway, with the taste of sour grapes in my mouth, I was none too pleased when the race involved an icy path. Pretty much the whole way, you never new if you were on ice or just moisture because the ice was so thin. With most of my steps I could tell that there was no traction as soon as I tried to push off and my foot would just slip out the back. I ended up still having a good run. And it was great to get out there with runners again. I just couldn't shake the feeling that the conditions were somewhat dangerous.

Happy Spring Trails!

2 comments:

SueBob said...

I did Calhoun & LOTI today too! The snow/water was a pain at first, but it ended up being nothing compared to trying to get around all those people! I have never seen so many people at the lakes before. You can really tell we have had a LONG cold winter around here - everyone was so excited about a nice day to walk/run/whatever around the lakes.

RunningLaur said...

Any run is better than no run - it sounds like you've got that down!

Keep working with the food. Sounds like you're happy with what you're doing, and in time it will pay off. It's just so hard to be patient!